Burn Injuries in the Workplace
According to the CDC, burn injuries happen every day in the workplace. Some jobs present employees with a higher risk for burns than other jobs. Sometimes burns are isolated events affecting one or a few employees at the same time. Sometimes there is reported mass trauma and disasters that burn many employees.
Types of circumstances causing burns include, but are not limited to, explosions and fires. A job depends on how high the risk is for burns. For example,
- Injuries occur in thermal burns caused by flames, hot liquids, hot surfaces, high heat, and through the use of chemicals.
- Burns occur by electricity.
The Staggering Amount of Burn Injuries and Death
The CDC gave some calculations for burn injuries of 2,000. Although the figures date back to the year 2000, they provide some idea of how many die or are injured yearly.
Someone dies every two hours from burns. Citizens receive burn injuries every 23 minutes. Each year, over one million burn injuries require medical attention in the United States, and over 50,000 require hospitalization.
Burns are painful, disfiguring, and expensive to treat. Most agree that first-degree burns are the most common burn. First-degree burns are not too much to worry about and require little to no attention. However, first-degree burns are excruciatingly painful for a short time. Can you imagine how a burn victim deals with second and third-degree burns?
Severe burns are unbelievably and constantly painful, disfiguring, costly, and can require months of rehabilitation, require long-term care and cause financial ruin to a family. Additionally, severe burns can cause disability, preventing the person from gainful employment.
What makes your burn situation worse is if your burns were caused by the negligence of another person or company.
The Long-lasting Effects of Negligent Burn Injuries
*Please Use Caution in What You Say
Immediately following your injuries, you are in enormous pain, and we realize it is difficult to think. However, please try to consider what you say to those around you. Never admit fault or say you are sorry for the accident to anyone. Words such as these can place blame on you and not the negligent employer or co-worker. Even if you believe this was your fault, never admit this if possible. The wrong words can prevent you from receiving the just and fair settlement you deserve.
In these burn cases, you need some compensation for damages. It would be best if you did not have to worry about finances. All you should worry about is your recovery and healing. Please allow our attorneys at The Stoddard Firm to do the worrying. We want you to concentrate on getting better.
It would be best to have compensation because you will experience the temporary or permanent loss of your job due to your burns. But, unfortunately, workers’ compensation does not last forever.
We calculate your possible settlement by taking into account your past, present, and future costs. Your compensation needs to be significant if you have substantial losses, such as seen in the following.
- Loss of income
- Recurring and mounting medical bills.
- Rehabilitation costs past, present, and future
- Short or long-term medical care
- Travel expenses to and from doctors and more
- Economic losses and non-economic losses, according to Georgia law.
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and mental trauma
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
Settlement amounts are all different because the situations are different. There are many things that our skilled and seasoned attorneys must figure into your circumstances, such as,
- How severe are your burns?
- How old are you?
- Do you have a family to support?
- Does your job offer promotions with wage and benefit increases?
- Are the burns life-changing due to scarring and disfigurement?
- Do you need short or long-term medical care?
- What will your insurance pay for on your claim?
- We meet with your doctors, review medical records, ask and receive in-depth questions, and prep doctors about not using complex medical technology to court jurors.
Successful Settlement Cases for Victims by The Stoddard Firm
If your case goes to court, we always wonder how generous the jury will be with your compensation claim. Each case is different. We believe that the settlement that the jury decides on depends on how skilled and seasoned your attorneys are in presenting your case.
We have an impressive track record for winning cases for burn victims. We believe these excellent results are due to how we offer judges and jury information on our cases. We win tremendous settlements for burn victims who deserve these settlements. Their lives have changed dramatically, and the world’s turned upside down for these victims. These victims need a gracious settlement. However, we are never sure how a jury responds and feel that how we present your case has a primary bearing on your settlement outcome.
- We always deliver a complete and explicit story to the jury to accurately let the jury know how severe your condition is due to a person or company’s negligence.
- We present your account through expertly designed videos, diagrams, and enlarged photographs taken every two weeks of your injuries.
- We record each stage of your recovery process and the pain and suffering you endured because of the negligence of others.
- We always get the approval of your doctors.
- We have your professional doctors describe the extent of your injuries, your plan of care for recovery, the expected amount of recovery, lifestyle changes, and all costs past, present, and future.
- We interview witnesses, gather evidence, and investigate how your burn injuries happened.
- We review photos and videos if your workplace has a camera in place.
- We study through police files and reports, medical and therapy information.
- We hire experts to testify and support you in court.
Call to Action for Burn Victims
Have you or a loved one been burned because of the negligent actions of another person or company?
Our attorneys at The Stoddard Firm know all about burns and what the victim must go through.
- We know and understand the various degrees of burns.
- We have seen the severity of burns, the constant and uncontrollable pain and suffering of burn victims.
- We see the disfiguring results from burns. We know how expensive burn treatment costs and how long it may take a burn victim to recover if they can recover at all.
If you or a loved one is a victim of burns due to the negligent actions of another person or company, make sure to find an experienced burn injury attorney who will hear your story and help you and your family through the recovery process.